Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"We're pretty certain it is nothing to worry about."

Got results back from the 2nd needle biopsy and bone scan. Needle biopsy I didn't care too much about, it was just to give them the information they needed to confirm that I really was an eligible candidate for their research study. It was the bone scan that I was particularly interested in. I went up to Huntsman yesterday for more bloodwork and checked to see what the results said. Remember, with that scan the radioactive agent will accumulate around any fast growing or abnormal cells.  The radiologist report says, "Mild asymmetric uptake of tracer involving the L4 vertebral body." That's just fancy doctor speak for the radioactive stuff was having a little party on the lower part of my spine OR part of my left lung, they're not sure exactly. That's not necessarily good. We want them to be a little more anti-social, more evenly distributed throughout the body. So, they thought we should make sure we know what that is before we start chemo. I am NOT putting off chemo so I'm going up tomorrow for another CT scan to see if they can get more information on the radioactive party at the lower end of my spine. They should have the results by Thursday so I can go ahead with chemo on Friday.

When my nurse told me about the scan results she said, "We're pretty certain it is nothing to worry about."  Well, by my count, I've already heard that three times in the last several months and yet here I am, undergoing every test known to man about to start chemo therapy in a few days. I think she was a little confused when I started to laugh.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hey, I'm an idiot and for some reason, every time I pulled up your blog, I only saw the first post. I thought that you were too busy to post, but today finally found the rest of these. Holy Cow you have been through a ton already. I guess you start the chemo this week? Good luck with that. I hope that their advances are advanced as the nurse was saying. Either way, you should definitely milk it for dishes and laundry duty! We're sending our best wishes and prayers your way!

Librarian Girl said...

Thanks Liz. I wondered about that because my stats were saying that most people had seen the first page, but not many had seen subsequent pages. I moved the archive up and changed it a little so that may help a little.

Marie