Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm radioactive!

Today was the bone scan. Early this morning I was injected with the radioactive agent and let loose to roam throughout the hospital while it circulated. I was told to drink tons of water to flush it out of my bladder. I guess if you let even small amounts of radioactive chemicals sit in your bladder, that can be bad. Go figure... Neil and I hung out in the Cancer Wellness Center and I made arrangements to meet with a dietician during my first chemo treatment. She's going to help with with food ideas that will help me alleviate chemo side effects.

While we had time to burn I also contacted my insurance company to ask a few questions about anything that needed to be preauthorized, coverage, etc. They assigned me to a nurse who was going to follow my treatment and act as my consultant as I was arranging treatment, working with providers and organizing bills and claims. I love my insurance agency. Really. Love.

Next was the breast MRI. If any of you have been in an MRI machine you'll know how fun it can be, but this time I was lying on my stomach with the girls hanging through two little holes in the bed thing. Well, really they were actually MEDIUM sized holes. (As I'm writing this, I'm remembering that I gave this blog address to my bishop and relief society president to distribute to friends in the ward....hmmm. Oh well.)  So anyway, I was expecting the unusual MRI position. What I wasn't expecting was to walk into the MRI room and see three big guys standing there waiting for me and I'm thinking, "Oh come on!!!! You couldn't find one woman in the whole radiology department to do this???" I guess not. I've lost all sense of dignity.

So that's it for a few days. After I get the results from the last needle biopsy I will start the two week research trial for the new drug and then be ready to start chemo on the 12th of this month.

No comments: