Saturday, March 12, 2011

I tested negative.

I got the results back from my genetic testing. They were negative. So, this is good for a few different reasons. One, testing postive would have meant that there there was a 50 to 80 percent risk of me developing cancer in the other breast eventually, necessitating a bilateral mastectomy instead of a unilateral. This doesn't actually change much for me since I'm pretty sure I'm going with bilateral anyway. Two, a positive would have meant I had a really high risk of ovarian cancer in the future. If it had been positive, I would have had to have my ovaries removed at some point in the very near future. That I wouldn't care too much about either at this point, other than it would be just one more surgery. Three, and this is the one that I was most interested in, a negative means that my daughter and sisters and neices and maybe even cousins are probably also negative meaning they don't have to worry about having mammograms and breast MRIs at 25 years old.

So, I'm glad I did it. Hopefully it brings a little peace of mind to some of my family members as well.

No comments: