Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fifth of eight.

I had my fifth infusion yesterday. It was the first infusion of the new drug, Taxol. It's supposed to be easier to tolerate. For most people. Low incidence of nausea so no anti-nausea meds this time, unless I need them. I won't. Yay! I hated those anti-nausea meds. The big one with this is just supposed to be bone/muscle pain. That I can deal with. I've got my 800 mg of ibuprofen and my personal drug of choice, Percocet, standing by and ready, but so far nothing. Maybe I won't need them. We'll see.

I met two new people in the infusion room yesterday. They were both on their first treatment. One was a woman about my age, maybe a little younger, with breast cancer. Her treatment was the same as mine. Her condition sounded almost the same as mine too except they had found the cancer in her lymph nodes and they don't think it's in mine, though they haven't actually gone in to check yet. The second person was a guy about the same age too who had stage 4 non-hodgkins lymphoma. He told us about it. It was a little scary. His nurse came in and was talking to him about some of his test results and possible complications and I was really scared for him. He was young with a young wife. It helped me remember that no matter how bad you think your situation is, there is always going to be someone who is worse off, so have your pity party (that is still necessary) and move on with life and try to help those who are worse off as much as you can.

3 comments:

Adventures of Ardis said...

Marie, I'm glad to hear that you're so far along in your treatments and that you aren't having any major side effects so far this round (and hopefully ever?). Do you remember the name of the young man who came in? My sister has dear friends who are down in Salt Lake for treatment and it sounds like that could have been them.

Librarian Girl said...

I didn't get his name. His wife had an accent. German or Dutch maybe. They live in Utah County out by Saratoga Springs Eagle Mountain. Can't remember which. His wife is going to the University of Utah. One semester away from her masters. I may see him again. I'll ask him his name next time.

Adventures of Ardis said...

My sister's friends are from BYU-I, so it must be a different couple. I'm sad that there are two couples that are in such a similar situation. I hope that everything will work out really well for them.
I also hope that you are feeling okay, and also that you've recovered from the Ped-Egg incident! Who knew that they could cause such trouble!