Friday, December 17, 2010

Let that be a lesson to you...

I learned something this week and thought I'd pass along the wisdom to anyone else who may find themselves in my situation. I'm in habit of shedding whatever headgear I happen to be wearing the minute I get in the house after work, but if anyone stops by, I'll grab whatever scarf or hat I can get on before I answer the door. I guess I'm not entirely comfortable appearing hairless to friends, neighbors, and strangers so I've been keeping a little turban at the front door that I can pull on when I need it. Well, I learned the other night that it would also be a good idea to have them strategically placed in other places throughout the house in the off chance that your five-year old  happens to get to the door before you do.

Let me just paint a little picture for you:

I'm in my bedroom. Just put on my big old baggy pajamas and the doorbell rings. In my visitors' defense, it is really only about 7 pm. Perfectly respectable hour. They had no way of knowing that I practically start getting ready for bed the minute I walk in the door. It's pathetic, I know. So, doorbell rings and both Elijah and Lily bolt out to the living room to answer the door before I can stop them. After about 5 seconds, I realize that my little turban is out by the door where the visitors are now waiting for me. I'm standing there in my bedroom in my only somewhat decent pajamas trying to decide if I should hurry and get dressed again. And then there was the problem of trying to find something to cover up my hairlessness with. I decided the latter problem was the most urgent so I just grab a baggy sweatshirt to throw over the pajamas in order to retain a bit of modesty and then begin hunting the room for something to put on my head. There are several scarves in my room, but most of them take a bit of time to tie and even if I could get one on in less that five minutes (I'm still a novice at the scarf tying thing) I thought it would look a little odd to walk out in baggy pjs, an old worn out sweatshirt, and a silk scarf on my head. Turbans and caps are nowhere to be found. I finally pull on this goofy knitted pink beanie hat. The beanie was made with a very loose weave, so it didn't leave much to the imagination. I'm not sure why I even bothered.

So, I walk out in all my glory to greet my neighbor and his three sons. I was actually quite impressed with their composure as I made my entrance. Brown and pink baggy pajama bottoms, about 2 sizes too big (that's why they're so comfortable), grey Clarion University of PA sweatshirt, and a pink knitted beanie hat that would probably be more effective as a colander than a headcovering. Maybe you had to have been there, but take it from me, I was quite the hottie. And, as if that weren't enough to give them a little chuckle, I walked out into the living room to see my darling little angel baby standing there in front of all four of them with my bra proudly looped around her neck.

Well, here's to bonding with the neighbors. Hopefully they got as big a laugh out of it as I'm sure I will someday. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marie, You got me laughing so hard I had tears running down my face and that NEVER happens.

Sherry

JanaLee said...

I love it! I know exactly what Lilly looked like because Megan did the same thing about a month ago, only she was naked except for the bra and some slippers! Although we did not have house guests at the time.

lunch lady said...

Troy and I both laughed our heads off........this would have been a perfect video to send to Funniest Home Videos.......you would have won the $10,000 for sure.

Liz said...

That is AWESOME! No way to explain your way around that. Just start laughing.! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

I've always liked that you are not "pretentious" about you, even when you try kids humble quickly.