Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The autoimmune epidemic--Part II

To give the reader an idea of the chemical burden of the average individual, the author walks you through the day of a pretend person named "Becky," who could just as easily be you or I, describing various things like the how breakfast is prepared, doing a quick clean of the house, taking the kids to school, feeding an infant, etc. Then she goes back and describes how at almost every small action, her immune system was bombarded with toxic chemicals. Man made chemicals. Chemicals that simply did not exist in our environment 50-100 years ago. It was simply horrifying.

To be honest. I didn't complete the book. About 75 pages from the end, I just couldn't finish. The anger had melted away into depression. It had gotten too big. I could eliminate some of these toxins that could make my family sick, but how do you control the air your children breathe? How do you keep them safe from endocrine disrupting or carcinogenic chemicals in public areas like playgrounds, libraries, or schools, without locking them in thier rooms indefinitely? It is impossible. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of complete helplessness. My children were doomed to a future laden with cancer, autoimmune issues and other dibilitating health issues. I honestly got to the point where I was seriously considering quitting my job and dragging my family off to some little farm in the country where we could have a little more control over our environment.

I felt that way for about a month. I'm sure I was all sorts of fun to live with. But eventually, I reached the next milestone in my journey that made me feel like there was something I could to to protect my family, even if it was in a very small way.




No comments: