Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Scarves away!!

Today I decided to retire my scarves. My hair is just a little bit longer than the "fuzzy" stage, but not long enough to comb or do anything with. I was going to wait another few weeks, but this morning I just was so tired of trying to color coordinate my head that I gave up. On the way out the door I told my 5 year old I was going to work without anything on my head. He just looked at me and said, "Mom, I really think you better go back in and get one of your scarves." So I didn't start out with much encouragement, but I decided to ignore him and go bareheaded anyway. The reactions at work were kind of fun. I got everything from those who would look at me funny and then quickly avert their eyes to the ceiling to those that said, "Well, it's better than no hair at all, right?" (I was standing right next to a friend of mine who has had no hair for years when I got that comment.) We all got a good laugh out of that one. It was a good day. So thank you again to all of you who sent me all sorts of hats and scarves so I could be fashionably hairless. Now I get to figure out how to wear them as part of a normal wardrobe.

I have four more radiation sessions to go and I'm done until November 10th when my tummy tuck is scheduled. It's pretty easy to get excited about it when I think about that. The whole bilateral mastectomy thing will be part of that day too, but it's the tummy tuck/butt lift that makes me smile.

1 comment:

Amberleah said...

I don't even know you, but I am your sister (Sherry's) neighbor. She told me about your blog, and I've been following it. I have wanted to say so much, but haven't known how to say it. So, here goes nothing ;)

Thank you for sharing all these details. I have lost several loved ones to cancer, so of course, the word itself freaks me out. To read about you, even though you say you're "not strong" has tremendously helped me.

Another friend of mine was diagnosed shortly after you. She is about 2 steps behind you in every stage, and when I read your blog, I feel like there is hope for her, because there is so much hope for you.

Thank you for your faith, it has encouraged me SO much.

<3