Friday, October 29, 2010

"You could hide a Buick in there!"

So I am scheduled to start chemo the second week of November. I'm hoping to do it on Thursday afternoon so if am going to get sick, I can do it over the weekend and not have to use all my sick and annual leave. I'm going to try to save some of that for Christmas. Although, the nurses told me that they are getting better and better at preventing nausea so it may not be that bad at all. They did however tell me to be sure to not tell my husband that. I guess they figure that if you have Cancer, you should have the right to milk it just a little bit.  I think I can do that. After all, after Neil's brain surgery, it was really quite fun to see the reactions we got when he milked his condition. Okay, maybe I milked it for him. When we built the town home I got the agent to throw in a free upgrade of a banister and handrailing because "My husband recently had brain surgery and sometimes really has difficulty keeping his balance. I'm really concerned about him falling down the stairs."  Which was true.... at the time. There was no deception involved. So, anyway, the point being that I'm sure I can find a few ways to milk the situation.

So here's my funny story for the day. I asked my nurse why this 4.5 cm tumor didn't show up on the mammogram I had back in January. I was a little freaked out thinking that I had this super fast growing cancer. Well, apparently mammograms aren't quite as dependable as I thought. If you have particularly dense breast tissue, which I guess I do, the tumor is often hidden and can frequently be missed in a mammogram. Then she tells me that she and a couple of the surgeons on staff were discussing this very thing earlier while reviewing both the mammogram films and one of the surgeons (reffering to the density of the breast tissue) said, "Oh yeah. You could hide a Buick in there."

Now honestly. I had to take issue with that. You all know as well as I do that in the boob department, I have never been Buick material. A Volkswagon Bug, maybe, but not a Buick.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

Hi Marie,
You don't know me, but I am Lauri, Carol's friend. She has probably told you that I took the breast cancer journey, too, so I know exactly what you're going through. I wanted to offer my support if you have any questions from someone who has lived it. You have a great attitude, and I can tell you that makes a world of difference. I loved the list you and Neil came up with! Your nurse is rightabout nausea, they have made great gains in preventing it. I had 16 chemo treatments and didn't get sick once. Granted, I was completely drugged up and out of it, but hey, I preferred that to hanging my head in the toilet. Sleeping it away was far better! Just wanted to let you know that if you want to contact me, my email is lnord2001@yahoo.com. I'd like to help in any way that I can.

P.S... the next "journey" I take, I want to be a vacation to Hawaii!

Nancy said...

So sorry for what you are going through Marie. We pray that you will get through this trial and journey and be completely healed and new. Our prayers will be with you and your family daily. Thank you for sharing with this blog. It will be a blessing for all. Hugs, The Danielsons

Serena said...

Marie, I've got to say how impressed I am with your attitude. You are an example in so many ways. Thanks for sharing your new adventure and I pray that all will go well, despite the trials it will bring.

Michele said...

We are amazed at what a positive attitude you have. I know it will get you through this. We are only 15 seconds away if you need anything: An Ear, a Shoulder, a Ride, a Babysitter or some food. We're here if you need us. Love, The Hooper's